Wednesday Day 453 Food Diary

polar01092013Things I learned today for probably the fifty-thousandth time: When I really, really do not feel like exercising and can’t even get through a half hour yoga routine, I probably should not switch to DDR. I had these big plans tonight to do an hour of yoga, then about 30 minutes of DDR while Mattie was out at pool league. I posted on Twitter for someone to remind me around 8pm to get moving. My friend @missmarisol reminded me about 715pm, and went ahead and fed the dogs and put them outside so I wouldn’t have to midway through my workout.

At a few minutes before 8, I strapped on my HRM, threw down my yoga mat, grabbed my block, and loaded the workout (one I’d never done) on my mp3 player and hit play. The workout started with mountain pose, followed by some forward folds, plank (and crocodile), triangle pose, right angle, and then I just could not continue. It wasn’t even a tough yoga routine up to that point, I just had like negative desire to do the next 36 minutes, even knowing the last 5 minutes would most likely be me laying on the floor in corpse pose relaxing my muscles and breathing regularly. The hardest part about that is struggling not to fall asleep on the mat.

I paused my HRM and went into the bedroom and set up the Xbox’s DDR game. I got Sashi to lay down and get out of my way (she likes to walk in circles on the platform when I play and look confused) and I started playing. I played for about 26 minutes before stopping, and I think I got maybe 15% of the steps. I just could not find the beat no matter how I tried. It was really the same issue with the yoga before that- no breath control to help find the right rhythm. The whole thing was an epic failure in every sense save for calorie burn. I did fine there, burning about what I would have if I had taken a brisk 40 minute walk, which is probably what I should have done from the beginning.

Food was decent today. I overdid things a little by about a cup of coffee and an orange, which made me more motivated to workout, which as you just read, worked out terribly badly. Still, it could have been a lot worse. I really wanted to eat the brownie Mattie asked me to save earlier, but I didn’t. I also packed the corn muffin and the lemon pound cake that are left in his lunch box so he will take them to work with him tomorrow. And tomorrow night when he gets home, I’ll pack the brownie in his lunch box for Friday.

Here’s today’s food diary.

What Calories Fat g Protein g Carbs g Points
Fit & Fruity Yogurt, Vanilla (6 Oz) 160 2 6 29 3
Coffee w/Coffeemate 70 3 0 10 2
Breakfast Burrito 274 14 15 20 6
Orange, Medium 59 0 1 14 1
Coffee w/Coffeemate 70 3 0 10 2
Orange, Medium 59 0 1 14 1
Rice-a-Roni Chicken & Mushroom (1 Cup) 350 13 7 49 8
Pork Loin, (6 Oz) 404 19 51 0 10
Salad w/Thousand Island Dressing 198 13 6 14 4
Total Calories From… 599 348 638
% % %
Food Totals 1644 36% 21% 39% 36
Exercise Calories Points
Yoga/DDR 50:01 Minutes 455 5
Exercise Totals 455 5
End of Day Totals 1189 31

I also learned that I should not rely on the internet for nutritional info if you have a label in front of you. The other day I Google for the nutritional info for a salad dressing I used because I was too lazy to walk to the kitchen and read the bottle. Today I actually looked at the label as I was using it today, and the info on the bottle was more then double what the internet said fo that specific dressing and brand. :( That does not make me happy, because it makes me wonder just how much of the info I have had to look up and take guesses at has been way, way off like that one. It almost make me want to start multiplying my daily totals by 110% to feel like I really am in the “safe” zone at the end of the day.

Anyway, how about something positive after all that? As some of you may remember, back in June, June 1st to be exact, I shampooed my hair with a commercial shampoo for the last time. Since that date, I’ve been using a paste of baking soda and water massaged into my roots about once a week, which works great, but it leaves my hair really dry and it tangles really, really badly. As in if I didn’t brush it for a week, I’m betting I’d have fully formed dreads. Last week I purchased a large bottle of apple cider vinegar, which Mattie and I have started using as a conditioner. The smell fades by the next day (and it really weak to begin with after you rinse it) and our hair is a little easier to brush, and he’s seen a decrease in his dander from his beard. I’m hoping with continued use we’ll see more benefits to using it. What still amazes me is how easy it was to switch to an all-natural product for shampooing our hair, and its making me really consider making our own laundry detergent as well, though really, we already use Arm & Hammer with no scent, its cheap, and a box lasts us freaking forever, so maybe not a lot of benefit to switching that up.

I got the dogs’ vaccines in the mail today as well, so will probably give them their shots tomorrow when Mattie gets home from work. It costs me about the same to order them and have them shipped here on ice as it would to take them to the vet and get them, but its a lot more convenient to give them at home- stuffing two large dogs into my backseat to drive them to the vet’s has its own associated stresses- mainly me not being able to see out of most of my windows and getting my face furiously licked while I’m trying to drive.

Nothing else to report tonight, so going to sign off and hit post. Then I’ll catch up on my blog reading, and maybe do some real reading before bed. See you tomorrow!