I’m going out on a limb with this one. I personally thought it was pretty darned good, but Mattie said it was too bland. I think he would have liked it better if I’d used a different rice mix then the one I did. I chose Zatarain’s, and he really prefers the Great Value brand chicken rice as it has more flavor. I’m also amazingly easy to please when it comes to pizza, and anything put into a pie shell. You can do no wrong with either of those with me. Anyway, I want to make it again, but I think next time I’ll also add bacon for somebody… Here’s the chicken & veggie quiche.
Right out of the oven, they looked good. The cheesy crust on the top was lightly browned, the pieces of broccoli I’d thrown in last minute were peeking through, and they smelled incredible. I couldn’t wait to serve some up and take a bite!
Then I got a knife, sliced a section free, and discovered I could not remove it without completely destroying it and they looked so pretty, so I sat one on each of our dinner plates and we ate directly out of the pie tins. We’re kind of trashy that way.
I’ll admit, the inside looks kind of boring. Just rice and a few veggies, and you can’t even really see the chicken bites as everything inside is white. But if you want a simple, wholesome meal that’s easy to prepare, and cheap too, try this one out. I used the remainder of a bag of mixed peas, corn, and green beans, as well as a handful of broccoli pieces left over from dinner a few nights ago. I’m trying to clean out my fridge and freezer!
The original recipe called for the use of a single deep-dish pie crust. I could only find a two-pack of regular ones, so I just made do with those and the results were fine. Here’s the recipe, adapted from 100 Best Chicken Recipes.
- 8 oz. chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 1 box chicken-flavored rice mix of your choice, plus the amount of liquid called for on packaging
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 9″ frozen pie crusts
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the rice mix, liquid, chicken, and vegetables into a pan, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for until liquid is absorbed.
- In separate bowl, mix milk and eggs thoroughly.
- Split rice mixture evenly between the two pie crusts, and pour egg mixture over both, dividing equally. Sprinkle surface with cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until knife stuck in center comes out clean.